Newstart is a training centre based in Southwark, South East London that specialises in delivering Construction Skills training and Creative Craft courses:
Our courses include:
NCFE programme helps learners to develop skills in Carpentry and Painting & Decorating which provides them with the underpinning knowledge of the trade.
The course includes the use of materials and resources, the safe use of tools and equipment and knowledge of the craft to enable them to progress to NVQs in their chosen skill area.
The course gives the learner a broad introduction to the different trades involved in the construction industry
We deliver a taster programme which enables learners to sample a number of skill areas to help them decide a career pathway.
Tasters can be adapted to suit the requirements of the school or organisation.
A two day course for those with no previous experience of woodwork.
• Introduction to tools and equipment
• Measuring and marking out
• Cutting accurately
• Making wood joints
• Completing a project to take home.
Personal protective equipment, tools and materials are provided.
Course length: 2 days (12 hours)
This is an introductory course that introduces the learners to tools and equipment, and how to make woodworking joints and construct a small table to take home.
• Introducing tools and equipment – Uses and hazards
• Knowledge of woods, boards and materials
• Measuring, marking out and cutting timber
• Sharpening chisels and planes
• Cutting basic joints
• Making a table
All personal protection, tools and materials supplied.
Course length: 4 days
The course covers the skills and knowledge required for a basic understanding of Painting & Decorating.
• Health & Safety and safe working practices
• Correct use of tools and equipment
• Preparing surfaces for painting
• Applying emulsion to walls using brushes and rollers
• Applying oil based paint
• Cutting in around doors, switches etc
• Cutting, pasting and hanging wallpapers.
Course length: 4 days (6 hours per day)
To find out more about our Schools Programmes or any of our DIY Courses, get in touch by sending us a message.
Look forward to hearing from you!